What is a ketogenic diet?
A ketogenic diet is a low-carb diet. In this, one should eat a level of carbohydrate of around 30grams or below than that.
It results in encouraging the body to get its energy from burning fat, which in return produces an energy source known as ketones.
The diet helps the body to lower the demand for insulin, because it leads to benefit people from type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
How does it works?
While on a ketogenic diet, blood glucose levels are kept at a low but healthy level which encourages the body to break down fat into a fuel source known as ketones.
The process of breaking down or burning body fat is known as ketosis.
People on insulin require typically smaller doses of insulin because it leads to less risk of large dosing errors.
The diet plans help in burning body fat and therefore has particular advantages for those who are looking to lose weight. It also includes people with prediabetes or those otherwise at risk of type 2 diabetes.
The ketogenic diet helps you to lose weight.
Research shows that the ketogenic diet is far superior to the often recommended low-fat diets. One study found that people on a ketogenic diet tend to lose 2.2 times more weight than people on a low-fat diet.
There are various reasons why a ketogenic diet is considered better than a low -fat diet as:
- It reduces appetite and hunger levels.
- Increases muscle mass and strength.
- Reduces cravings and late-night snacking.
- Boosts metabolism and increases fat burning.
- Lower your blood pressure.
- It helps your body to repair itself from injuries
Other Health Benefits of Keto
- Heart disease: The ketogenic diet improves risk factors which includes body fat, HDL cholesterol levels, blood pressure and blood sugar
- Alzheimer’s disease: The keto diet seems to reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and slow its progress rate.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: The ketogenic diet helps in reducing the insulin levels, which plays a major role in polycystic ovary syndrome
- Brain injuries: One animal study found that the diet can reduce concussions and aid recovery after brain injury.
- Cancer: The keto diet is currently being used to treat several types of cancer and slow tumor growth rate.
- Epilepsy: Researchers have proven that the ketogenic diet can cause massive reductions in seizures in epileptic children
Foods to Avoid
- Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, candies, cake, ice cream, etc
- Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries.
- Root vegetables and tubers: sweet potatoes as well as potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products: whole-grain foods, lean meats, etc.
- Unhealthy fats: Limit the intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Due to the high carb content, many alcoholic beverages will lead you out of ketosis.
- Sugar-free diet foods: These are often high in sugar alcohols, which can affect ketone levels in some cases. These foods also tend to be highly processed.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
- Beans or legumes: Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Meat: beef’s meat, chicken, turkey steak, ham, sausage, bacon.
- Fatty fish: cod, catfish, mahi-mahi have less fat, trout, tuna, and mackerel.
- Eggs: pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Butter and cream: Look for grass-fed when possible.
- Cheese: mozzarella, blue cheese, ricotta, cottage cheese.
- Nuts and seeds: walnuts, cashews, pecans, brazil nuts, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Pure oil, avocado oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, etc.
- Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
A Sample Keto Meal Plan For 1 Week
To help get you started, here is a sample ketogenic diet meal plan for one week:
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs, lettuce wrap with avocado, and tomatoes.
- Lunch: kale salad with grilled chicken with olive oil dressing and feta cheese.
- Dinner: steak with cauliflower rice, salmon with asparagus cooked in butter.
- Breakfast: baked egg in an avocado cup, tomato, basil, and goat cheese omelet.
- Lunch: Almond milk, peanut butter, tuna salad, cold cut turkey roll-ups, and stevia milkshake.
- Dinner: Meatballs, cheddar cheese, and vegetables.
- Breakfast: A ketogenic milkshake
- Lunch: Shrimp salad with olive oil and avocado.
- Dinner: Chinese beef, broccoli, and salad.
- Breakfast: full-fat greek yogurt, crushed walnuts, salsa, peppers, onion, and spices.
- Lunch: cauliflower fried rice and celery sticks with guacamole and salsa.
- Dinner: bacon deviled eggs Chicken stuffed with pesto and cream cheese, along with vegetables.
- Breakfast: ½ coconut chips, Sugar-free yogurt with peanut butter, cocoa powder, avocado, stevia, and a side salad.
- Lunch: grass-fed burger in a lettuce bu, beef stir-fry cooked in coconut oil with vegetables
- Dinner: Bun-less burger with bacon, egg, and cheese.
- Breakfast: feta cheese, spinach and cheese omelet with vegetables.
- Lunch: chicken wings with celery sticks, Ham and cheese slices with nuts.
- Dinner: grilled chicken egg, and spinach cooked in coconut oil.
- Breakfast: cheese crisp, Fried eggs with bacon and mushrooms.
- Lunch: chicken salad wraps, cheese, and guacamole.
- Dinner: grilled salmon, steak, and eggs with a side salad.
Side effects of keto diet plan
- During the transition phase, the body switches over its fuel supply from glucose to ketones, it experiences flu-like symptoms, also called Keto-flu.
- In the initial days, the body loses a lot of water, sodium, and other minerals like potassium, magnesium, etc.
- In fact, it is said that the initial weight loss is caused due to water loss and not because of fat loss. The symptoms observed are dehydration, frequent urination, excessive thirst, dizziness, headaches, and muscle cramps.
- Many side effects are noticed, few like low blood sugar hypoglycemia. The other symptoms during the transition phase include fatigue, hunger, confusion, anxiety, irritability, tachycardia, light-headedness, shakiness, sweating, and chills.
- Smelling Breath – Acetone is one of the ketones and it has a characteristically fruity smell like that of a nail polish remover.
- Constipation -This happens because of the dehydration or water loss. Occasionally, some people also face diarrhea due to a high-fat diet.
- Disturbed sleep– It occurs because of the imbalance schedule or functioning of the body.
However, there can be some more serious long-term side effects too:
- The level of cholesterol and lipids in the blood increases due to high fat intake.
- Acidosisoccured causes to demineralize the bones. It increases the risk of bone injury and may lead to fracture.
- Ketosis results in low urine pH. The low pH causes the formation of crystals and kidney stones.
- Women experience various harmful changes like disruption of the menstrual cycle, and also in some cases a complete missing of the periodic cycle. Complete missing of the menstrual cycle leads to many hormonal side effects.
Size Effects and how to minimize them
There are two sides to a coin. There are also some solutions for the side effects caused due to the keto diet plans.
The side effects caused because of the keto diet is often referred to as the keto flu and is stays over within a few days.
Keto flu leads to an imbalance in the body like poor energy and mental functioning, increases hunger, inappropriate sleeps, or no nights of sleep, diarrhea, and other hormonal side effects faced by the body.
To control all of this, one should go for a regular low-carb diet in the initial weeks.
1. A ketogenic diet also changes the water and other mineral imbalance in the body, so good and proper intake of salts should be included in the diet to recover from the side effects of the keto diet plan.
2. For minerals, one must go for proper intake of minerals, potassium, magnesium, and other minerals. A good intake of minerals is a must for the body to avoid any problem, so work on the proper consumption of the minerals.
3. At least, in the beginning, you should eat a proper meal and avoid calories too much. A good meal is the only source of keeping yourself fit. A ketogenic diet is something one must try but with a healthy routine.
4. A Ketogenic diet is Safe but Not for Everyone. A ketogenic diet is good for people who are overweight, diabetic or looking to improve their metabolic health.
5. It may be less suitable for elite athletes and for those wishing to add large amounts of muscle or weight. And, it works only in the long term plan, because people looking for a ketogenic diet should stick to the plan over a long period of time. It is not a short term course.
6. It does guarantee a good proven facts for the people looking for weight loss and treating from their diabetes.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is the Keto Diet Healthy?
In reality, one need not to go for the ketogenic diet, but people who want to work on their overweight and other diabetic issues, they must go to try this diet plan . It works on the diet of the people by changing their diet plans, and foods included in their meals are changed, and now the keto diet plan includes food with less fats, carbohydrates, and other mineral resources.
So, people with a healthy and fit body should not for the keto diet plans and the people who need to work on their selves should go fo this that too in consideration of the doctors as prescribed by the Mayo clinic.
2. Will I lose muscle?
There is always a risk of losing muscles while being on any of the diet plans. Keto diet, leads to the plan of losing of muscles because of dehydration and other factors involved in the entire procedure
3. My urine smells fruity. Why is this?
There is nothing to be worried about. This is because of the excretion of the various ketosis. You might also observe feel smelly breath because of the diet intake.
4. Should I Be Concerned About the Keto Flu?
If you are planning to go for the diet plan of ketosis, then one must read about the “keto flu” as well/ As keto fu occurs due to the side effects of the keto diet plan.
If you are fit, then you may avoid going for the keto diet plan, but if interested you can consult a doctor for that and also and always consider the side effects of all the diets you are taking. Every diet plan has some side effects with them, so as the keto diet plans. Keto diet plans lead to constipation, other lack of mineral sources in the body, lack of sleeps, and sleepless nights as well. And for women, it leads to menstrual cycle problems as well.
5. Do I need to refeed or carb load?
No. Actually, a few calorie days are sometimes beneficial as well.